I don’t think that is a subset that’s ever been studied scientifically. While my sample size is not large enough to publish the marriage changes after sobriety results, something like four of every five marriages I’m aware of where an alcoholic spouse quit drinking resulted in divorce.
Because of this, you’ll need to be patient, take care of yourself, and have firm boundaries. Remember, you are never obligated to stay in your marriage, especially, if you aren’t happy. Aim to be communicative with your partner, but realize that they need to learn how to regulate their own moods, actions, and behaviors. This is where the AA phrase, “Alcohol was but a symptom” can be most understood.
Repairing Your Marriage After Substance Abuse Treatment
Drew McLaughlin serves as Counselor for Burning Tree Ranch. A team member since 2013, Drew holds a Masters Degree in Professional Counseling from Amberton University. He is most proud of being a sober father, husband, son and brother. Other couples may be shocked to find out the extent of a partner’s problems with drugs or alcohol.
What is the most successful way to stop drinking?
- Make your intentions known. Tell your family and friends that you're aiming to stop drinking alcohol and explain why.
- Avoid temptation. In the early stages, it's a good idea to avoid situations where you may be tempted to drink.
- Try something new.
- Reward progress.
- Enjoy the benefits.
What makes Casa Palmera distinct from other treatment facilities is our desire to not only heal the body, but also aiming to heal the mind and spirit. Interestingly, marriages with both spouses drinking heavily result in divorce about 30 percent of the time – the same as non-drinking couples.
Recovery Is a Family Project
We either try to work it out, or maybe I’m one of the stories in the book that the marriage can’t make it through my sobriety. I just read one of your stories, and I really need some advice.
- I am always grateful when someone in the public eye comes clean about their substance use disorder.
- It’s a constant reminder of the person that I love has gone.
- Individual therapy – Individual therapy can help you explore the underlying causes of your addiction and develop healthy coping mechanisms.
- Couples therapy can provide a safe space to resolve conflicts between married couples while helping to build a supportive relationship that encourages addiction recovery.
- When my first child was born in 2007, it took everything I had to not run from caring for him.
- Of course, studies have also shown that substance abuse and marital unhappiness can feed off one another, causing a cycle that will continue unless someone makes hard choices.
Shelley wants to help alcoholics and addicts find their way to a successful sober life. Shelley and her husband have four grown children and two grandkids. Shelia Sirls serves as Client Care Manager for Burning Tree Ranch. With a 30-year background https://ecosoberhouse.com/ in behavioral health, Sheila assists our clients in developing the needed life skills to support a full life in recovery. Known across the entire United States for her country fried chicken, Sheila joined Burning Tree Ranch in 2006.